Careers @ ASHS
Please click here to access all the information and resources for Careers support at Albany Senior High School.
GATEWAY is an opportunity for students to experience work and to experience working with adults in a demanding environment.
Students need to make informed decisions about the choices they make when they leave school. GATEWAY can help them to experience what they want to do and what they do not want to do.
Through the experience of GATEWAY students can often get to see the relevance of the specialist subjects and the impact projects.
On average Albany Senior High School places 125 students per year, the largest number of GATEWAY placements in New Zealand.
What it looks like
- All students have the opportunity to be placed on GATEWAY at some time during their 3 years.
- 120 students on GATEWAY (work experience) in the community at any one time.
- Students attend GATEWAY on Wednesdays only (don’t miss their specialist subject classes).
- 20 NCEA credits attached to GATEWAY.
- Students expected to keep a portfolio of their work AND to do a presentation at the end of their placement in the same way as students working on Impact Projects